Route optimization is used to find out the most cost-effective routes. It helps in finding out the shortest possible routes. It also helps in planning the most optimal route by considering a few other factors. They include
- Number of turns
- Road traffic
- Nearest possible drivers
- The load-carrying capacity of the vehicle
- Road accidents
- Schedule of the driver
- Delivery time
All of this helps in efficiently delivering goods and services at the stops in the best possible manner.
It is tough for trucking organizations to plan delivery routes especially when they are operating on a large scale and managing numerous fleets. Finding the best route out of multiple routes present is a tedious task. You need to plan multiple routes for a single vehicle. This is an impossible task if done manually.
Human beings cannot make all the necessary calculations. If you still plan to do things manually you make compromises on a lot of factors. These include:
- Efficiency: It is very tough to plan the route you are supposed to take manually. This hampers the efficiency of the whole process.
- Accuracy: There are chances of manual errors while planning the routes.
- Flexibility: It is very tough to make a driver available the last movement in case of the absence of another driver if everything is done manually.
- Scalability: You need a lot of workforces to manage the smallest of trucking operations in case you are willing to do it manually.
- Robustness: If route planning is done manually, it becomes extremely tough for the organization to find the replacement of the workforce in case they leave.
“Truck drivers are the only ones that know the best places to stop on the road.”-Carole Eastman
This can only be done with the help of modern-day technology. There are various routing software for trucks available, that help in route optimization. This enhances the experience of the customer and provides them with great satisfaction.
Video Credit – CARFAX
They tend to repeat their purchases. Apart from this, there are several other benefits associated with the optimization of routes using the software. They are:
- Reduce fuel cost: The driver does not have to remember the paths as they are tracked using routing software. This reduces the chances of taking the wrong path. The shortest and best paths can be taken. This reduces the amount of fuel used in the vehicle.
- Reduced repairs cost: The vehicle spends less time on the road. This reduces the amount of damage caused and ultimately reduces the cost of repair.
- Reduced administrative cost: With the help of automation, the requirement of the workforce is reduced. This lowers the administrative cost.
- Increased number of deliveries: With the help of route optimization software, the number of daily deliveries is increased. Drivers are systematically allocated work. This makes quick and more deliveries possible.
- Increased drivers’ satisfaction: Route optimization makes it possible for the drivers to know the paths they are supposed to take. They need not remember these paths. It also helps in tracking the dangerous routes, these can be avoided. Accidents if any are also tracked. This ensures the safety of the drivers and ultimately increases their satisfaction.
- Faster deliveries: With the help of routing software, the best paths can be tracked. This leads to faster deliveries
- Reduced fuel tax: With the help of route optimization software the time spent by the vehicles on road is reduced. This reduces the amount of fuel spent and in turn reduces the fuel tax.
The route optimization software has become the need of the hour. Different organizations have different needs and accordingly need to pick the best routing software for themselves. This needs to be done with great care. Following are a few factors you must consider before selecting a route optimization software for your business:
- Real-time traffic consideration: It is pivotal for businesses to select a routing software that plans the routes on a real-time basis considering the traffic present. This makes it possible to select the quickest route.
- Accurate decoding: The route optimization software should be such that it can track the exact location where the deliveries are to be made.
- Historical data inspection: The route optimization software should be able to record the historical data regarding the driver, customer, and time. This makes it possible to know the drivers’ efficiency, customers’ preference, and satisfaction. It also helps in knowing the time when the deliveries were made. Shortcoming if any can be rectified by proper measures using this historical data.
- Order-vehicle constraints: The perfect route optimization software must provide recommendations regarding the type of vehicle to be used according to the nature of the goods or services that are to be transported.
- Adaptation to change: Your business grows and increases the scale of its operations over tie. It also changes the way it operates and works according to the latest trends. It is important to choose the truck routing software that easily molds and works in the changed surroundings.
- Report management: The routing software chosen must be able to integrate the reports of the entire business using a cloud-based format, on a real-time basis.
You should make sure to check the reviews and ratings of the route optimization software before purchasing it. The existing businesses using the software shall be consulted. Free trials must be asked for and accordingly, the best software must be chosen. It has become vital for businesses to undertake route optimization using present-day technology to stand firmly in front of their competitors. It enables it to grow and survive in the long run.